It is with deep gratitude that we thank our community
for being incredible allies and advocates for African Studies at UCLA.
1. A few highlights from 2019: ASC interns volunteer at community fundraiser; Dr. Nwando Achebe delivers the Coleman Lecture;
2. Face-painting in the Children’s Village on Africa Day; students at workshop on “launching a career in consultancy”
Celebrating Over 60 Years of African Studies at UCLA:
2022 kicked off ASC’s 63rd anniversary, signaling a time to celebrate and to reflect. Over the years we have faced many challenges, but together with our community, we have been able to nurture and support our students, scholars, educators, innovative entrepreneurs, social reformers, artists, and activists who are shaping our future every day. As we continue celebrating over 60 years of connecting communities of world-renowned faculty and experts, passionate students, and dedicated local and global allies, we invite you to partner with us to chart a course for the future of African Studies at UCLA.
The 63 Years Campaign: This holiday season, we hope that you will support ASC’s 63 Years Campaign.
Our goal? To raise $6 million to set the stage for ASC’s future and $60,000 for five target areas which will support:
- - 60 students (scholarships, internships, study abroad opportunities)
- - Research to change the world (refugee crisis, climate change, maternal health)
- - Conferences, seminars, and workshops that bring distinguished African leaders to Los Angeles
- - Celebration of African arts, cultures, and languages (Africa Day, Coleman Memorial Lecture, film festivals, concerts)
- - African Arts journal and publications that bring African voices to the forefront
How will we achieve these goals? With your support. Private philanthropy is critical to the health and vitality of our programs. There are many ways to give, including outright gifts, pledges payable over time, and permanent endowments. All gifts are tax-deductible and may be directed to the area of greatest interest to you, from teaching and research; to student opportunities; to community programs locally, in Africa, and beyond. Whether you contribute $6, $60 or $6 million, your gift makes a difference. We look forward to discussing with you about how your gift can make a significant impact. If you’re ready to make a gift today, Donate Now.
Join The Friends of the ASC:
Annual donors of $250 or more may join The Friends of the ASC and receive special benefits, including exclusive opportunities to engage with world-class experts and artists, and to explore the most pressing issues facing Africa. Our Friends provide critical discretionary funding to further our mission of cutting edge research focused on Africa, meaningful student opportunities, and public service. For more information about membership levels and benefits, please contact us at email@example.com.
If you have any questions about giving to the UCLA African Studies Center, please contact Erica Anjum, the Center's Deputy Director, or Aaron Cervantes or Karin Shaw at the International Institute's Development office.